How to install Volumio2 in Raspberry pi 3 model b
ok, everybody know about Spotify. which work very well in many devices. but for me i have some bottle neck.
- i dont have hi-end AVR or power amp that pre-install spotify . i cost me a year of salary to buy those.
- i dont like to play music on my phone as my kid will hijack my phone when ever ‘they’ see it. lol
- i want a standalone hifi device that play specifically hi-end audio file.
after being introduce with raspberry pi 3 few month ago, i start my project on standalone hifi player. it must apply all above criteria. hehe. i do not build it from scratch but i do applied several thing to come out a nice end product.
thing you need.
- raspberry pi 3 model b (can buy from here)
- power supply 12v 1a (minimum)
- a decent speaker (it a waste of time if nice hi-end hifi player with 10dolar speaker, it you know what i mean)
- a laptop
- a internet connection
- a “premium” spotify account
- sd card with card reader (can buy from here)
- DAC + AMP (can buy here)
let start kick of by downloading latest Volumio22 software from this download link
after that, you can flash it to you sd card. for me i use win32diskimager. you can download from here
put your sd card to your laptop. MAKE SURE IT YOU KNOW WHAT DRIVE LETTER THIS SD.
then you can browse the image that you already download. and press write. then wait.
when the popup said you completed. now you done. Volumio2 in your sd card!
now, next step. Prepared It.
connect your hard disk to your raspberry, if available.
connect your lan cable to your raspberry. a must
connect your DAC+AMP.
alas, plugin you power supply and turn on.
wait for awhile. then with same wifi connection with berry. type this Http://volumio.local to launch the volumio. if you cannot launch it. you need to install the Bounjour.exe
now, you should see the GUI. click on the Plugin >> search plugin >> then install SPOTIFY.
after that you should be able to play with the spotify and hear the sound.
then the interesting part. the sound you hear until now it just a basic audio. let bring it to next step with DAC and AMP
i use a china made DAC that have a set of 25w amp. good enough to drive my pioneer floarstander speaker.
– Full-HD audio – up to 24-bit/192kHz playback
– Class leading audio; 112db SNR, and THD of 0.0019%
– Audiophile TI Burr Brown 32-bit/384kHz DAC (TI PCM5122)
– Uses the digital I2S audio signals to reduce CPU load over USB audio solutions
– Integrated hardware volume control
– Mute can be enabled / disabled via jumper
– Built in High quality audio headphone amplifier (TI TPA6133A)
– Earphone AMP can be enabled / disabled via jumper
– Built in High quality Class-D stereo audio amplifier (TI TPA3118D2)
– Up to 2 x 20W into 4 ohm
– AMP can be enabled / disabled via jumper
– Phono/RCA connectors
– 3.5mm stereo audio jack
– Speaker terminals
to set this DAC you need to login to SSH.
check on the GUI, press gear icon, find network. you can see on the wired network, copy this ip address. open you putty. put the ip address
then type this line ==> sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/raspi-blacklist.conf
delete or comment if below line available
press control+X, then save it.
then type this line ==>sudo nano /etc/modules
add below line to the file
press control+X, then save it
then type ==> sync
then type ==> sudo reboot
or turn off the power (not a proper shutdown)
now turn on your raspberry, login to GUI. press gear icon. press playback option.
set as per picture below.
now restart you raspberry. after restart. now can your notice the difference?
have a nice day.
p/s : this setup using LAN cable only. if you need to use wifi, pls leave a comment